Default Replacing hard drive with SSD

I have a Puget desktop from 2009 and windows got corrupted and unbootable somehow, so I'm going to replace the OS hard drive (80 GB Seagate ST380815AS, SATA 3.0 GB/sec with ASUS P6T Deluxe Motherboard) with an SSD, probably 120--128GB since I found 80 GBs getting a bit tight even for the OS drive.

Any suggestions for what SSD I should get, and anything else to watch out for in upgrading. I assume I can just unplug power and cables from the old HD and plug them into the new SSD? Also I guess this motherboard supports SATA II (3.0 GB/s) but not SATA III so they'd be no benefit in getting a SATA III compatible SSD. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Default Re: Replacing hard drive with SSD

I would highly recommend an Intel solid-state drive: I have two, and love them! If your motherboard doesn't support SATA III (and from 2009... yeah, I don't think that was around yet) then there is no point to get a 'faster' SATA III drive... and they really aren't all that much faster anyways. Instead, I would advise going with a Intel 320-series SSD - either at 120 or even 160GB, depending on how much more space you want.

We carry those drives in a range of capacities, which you can see here: http://www.pugetsystems.com/store/?c...22Intel+320%22
    William George
    Customer Service Lead
    Puget Custom Computers
    william@pugetsystems.com

Thanks for the quick reply --- I went ahead and ordered this one from Puget:

http://www.pugetsystems.com/parts/Ha...5inch-SSD-7609

with overnight shipping, since I could only find 120GB versions locally and 160GB sounds better. Hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow so I can install it over the weekend!

As long as you ordered before noon (which you must have, given the time of your post) you should be set for shipping today and delivery tomorrow!

If you have any questions in advance of installation, I would encourage calling our tech support folks tomorrow (Friday) - even if you won't have time to install till the weekend.
    William George
    Customer Service Lead
    Puget Custom Computers
    william@pugetsystems.com

Thread Information