Default Hard drive always running?

Hi,
    I just got a new Puget computer a few weeks ago. Everything has been fine, but I noticed my hard drive always seems to be running, even if I'm doing nothing on the machine. I can hear it grinding away and the light starts to blink. It's not blinking in a fixed pattern, just what I would consider normal for a hard drive that's in use.
    This is my first Windows 7 machine, so I don't know if this is normal or not. The Task Manager says the CPU is at 1% and physical memory at 19%. I'm made sure any iTunes related software isn't running or any other software that uses a lot of the cpu or memory.
    Is there anything I should be looking for? Thanks for any advice.!

-Ashes

Default Re: Hard drive always running?

Your CPU and RAM usage sound fine... so I suspect that is just normal disk activity. Windows does a lot of stuff in the background these days to help optimize performance: caching the programs you use most often, defragmenting the hard drive on a schedule, indexing your documents / files, etc.

What model of drive do you have? WD Black and Blue drives do make more noticeable noise while just running than the Green drives, but they are a good bit faster in exchange.
    William George
    Customer Service Lead
    Puget Custom Computers
    william@pugetsystems.com

Thanks for the info. I do have a WD black drive. I thought it might be something Windows 7 was doing, but I wasn't sure. I've only used linux and Windows xp for the last 10 years. So, I'm kind of out of the loop as to what's normal behavior for Windows.

I'd chalk it up to normal operation - but if it bothers you, or if it seems to do it more over time, certainly feel free to check with our support techs. I've been using a solid-state drive for a few years at home now, so I don't notice drive activity any more (since SSDs make no noise).
    William George
    Customer Service Lead
    Puget Custom Computers
    william@pugetsystems.com

Thread Information