Thread: Dlna

Default Dlna

I'm getting a new Smart TV that has DLNA and if my computer and cable modem have it they can communicate to stream content from the computer to the TV. I wondered if my Feb 2010 Puget system has it or how to find out. The mobo is Asus P7P55D Pro, Win 7 Pro, Core i7 processor 850. I don't know what makes one compatible but assume it would be the above hardware/OS.

Thanks,
    Judy

Default Re: Dlna

With computers, I don't believe it is so much the hardware that needs to be DLNA compatible. What you need is a software program running on the computer that can access media stored there and share it with other DLNA devices on your network. I don't use DLNA myself, but after a few quick web searches (Google & Wikipedia are your friends!) I found this software which claims to be for your situation: http://www.tvmobili.com/download.php
    William George
    Customer Service Lead
    Puget Custom Computers
    william@pugetsystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by PCC-William View Post
    With computers, I don't believe it is so much the hardware that needs to be DLNA compatible. What you need is a software program running on the computer that can access media stored there and share it with other DLNA devices on your network. I don't use DLNA myself, but after a few quick web searches (Google & Wikipedia are your friends!) I found this software which claims to be for your situation: http://www.tvmobili.com/download.php
    Thanks for the good info William. I later went to Sony's site to look for a manual/setup info and in the how-to section they tell how to set up a server using Windows Media Player 12! Don't know how well that will work but I'll try it when I set up the TV. If you want to learn how (sounds very simple) see the site below. If that is not satisfactory, I have bookmarked tvmobli.com
    http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/d...nalId=C1020169

I'm too old to learn all this new technology!! Hope I'll get it all set up by Christmas!

Judy

Oh, interesting! I had no idea the media streaming in Windows Media Player was the same as that - but it makes sense now that I think about it. I actually use that myself to allow listening to my home music library here at work
    William George
    Customer Service Lead
    Puget Custom Computers
    william@pugetsystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by PCC-William View Post
    Oh, interesting! I had no idea the media streaming in Windows Media Player was the same as that - but it makes sense now that I think about it. I actually use that myself to allow listening to my home music library here at work
    That's cool that you can do that! I hope I can figure it all out. I don't have any music on my computer other than a few I bought to use for ProShow slide shows but I have a few videos and tons of photos since I'm a photographer.

I have another question. I got an HDMI cable and plugged it into my 9600 GT video card and into my 32" Samsung TV and it says no signal. Is the HDMI on the video card for out to a monitor or is it coming in?? I tried detecting it in Windows and it didn't find the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by digidiva100 View Post
    That's cool that you can do that! I hope I can figure it all out. I don't have any music on my computer other than a few I bought to use for ProShow slide shows but I have a few videos and tons of photos since I'm a photographer.

I have another question. I got an HDMI cable and plugged it into my 9600 GT video card and into my 32" Samsung TV and it says no signal. Is the HDMI on the video card for out to a monitor or is it coming in?? I tried detecting it in Windows and it didn't find the TV.
    You will want to be careful when it comes to inputs. It may seem simple and obvious to make sure the screen is on the right input, but I have had many displays that will automatically cycle from one input to another if a signal is not immediately detected. Which can be inconvenient if you power the screen on before the system.

If you are using the DVI to HDMI adapter with your card, or simply the actual HDMI port on the card, you should be getting an outgoing signal to the screen - though not all cards support simultaneous output to an HDMI port and another video output. It may be worth detaching the computer screen while it is connected to the TV to see if that helps.

From a technical standpoint there is little to no difference between an HDTV and modern flat-panel monitor, and it should just be plug-and-play.

I was using the HDMI port. I used HDMI 1 on the TV, it has 2 and I tried both, and with source button it went to them. But I may have found the problem. When I changed ports on the TV I noticed that the plug traveled a good bit going in and I didn't think it went in that far on the computer as I put it back in last night. Wouldn't you know, the connector on the cable I got from amazon is wider at the top than where it goes in (it is hinged to move up and down) and the port is so close to where the panel comes out beside it, that it hits it so I don't think it's all the way in. I did that in semi darkness behind the computer and had not noticed it before because it was so dark. I hope I can find an adapter to use because it's a 12 ft cable!

I have another question but I probably know the answer will be "no". Does the HDMI to the TV have sound too? If not I can use the computer speakers. They aren't audiophile but decent. Or use a long audio cable...
    Last edited by digidiva100; 11-30-2011 at 07:23 AM.

All newer video cards are capable of sending audio over HDMI - but I'm not sure if that was included in the GeForce 9600GT. I used to have one of those, but never tried the HDMI / audio from it.

Once you get the HDMI working in terms of video signal, assuming it is just a problem with the cable you have not seating fully, then check in the Windows audio settings (accessible from the speaker icon in the system tray, near the clock). Look at the Playback Devices list, and see if HDMI is among the listed outputs.
    William George
    Customer Service Lead
    Puget Custom Computers
    william@pugetsystems.com

Thread Information