Default Building gaming PC. Suggestions?

I want to build a gaming PC, and my budget is about $800-$850.

I've put together some decent systems but the video card is always the sticking point. The best I could get at that price (when combining with a core i7 or high end i5) was a Radeon HD 5770 or comparable cards.

Basically I just want to make sure there isn't a much better system out there for the same price.

Here are my preferences:

-Intel-based
    -Quad core processor
    -At least 4 GB DDR3 RAM
    -1 TB Hard Drive
    -Video card that could run, let's say Battlefield 3 on medium settings with a comfortable FPS.

Less important: Blu-ray drive

Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Building gaming PC. Suggestions?

I'd definitely go with one of the less-expensive Intel quad-cores: an i5, rather than an i7. That is likely to be your biggest single cost in a system like this, though the video card may come in close.

If you are intent on building yourself, look on websites like Newegg which have sales all the time - even if it means picking up items one or two at a time to get the best prices.

Lastly, if you can manage it, I would go with a nVidia graphics card rather than ATI... but get the best thing you can for the money, since your budget range will limit your choices.

Good luck & have fun building
    William George
    Customer Service Lead
    Puget Custom Computers
    william@pugetsystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by PCC-William View Post
    Lastly, if you can manage it, I would go with a nVidia graphics card rather than ATI...
    Hi William,

Just curious - why do you recommend Nvidia over ATI ?

I'm currently opting for the MSI Radeon HD 6950 2GB over the MSI GeForce GTX 560/570 Ti due to the extra gig of vram. Do you feel the nvidia cards would be a better choice? I've used both in the past and never had issues with either, so at this time i'm not biased either way Although I do prefer ATI's numbering over Nvidia

I've generally had better experiences with nVidia... or perhaps more precisely, our tech support folks complain about nVidia cards less often It has been a while since I personally owned an ATI card, and the Radeon 5770 my brother has seems to have served him well.

The complaints I hear about usual relate to driver support for features or games - but of course goof-ups and such can happen with either GPU manufacturer
    William George
    Customer Service Lead
    Puget Custom Computers
    william@pugetsystems.com

ah ok, thanks. I'll cross my fingers for an issue-free 6950 experience then

Just out of curiosity, have you noticed any decline or improvements since ATI was acquired by AMD?

The only thing I've noticed since the acquisition by AMD is that they've been able to integrate their CPUs and video chips more tightly - you can get "APUs" now which are a combination of a mid-range CPU and GPU on the same chip, giving a decent performance option for basic gaming at a low price.
    William George
    Customer Service Lead
    Puget Custom Computers
    william@pugetsystems.com

Thread Information