Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: System Image Question(s)

The screenshot showing settings was sort of buried in there - I'll try to point it out more specifically.

1) Open up the Backup utility interface
    2) Click on "Manage space"
    3) Click on "Change settings..."

This should bring up an interface like this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/...gsettinggs.png

There you can tell Windows whether it should keep images as space allows, or just a single image (the most recent).
    William George
    Customer Service Lead
    Puget Custom Computers
    william@pugetsystems.com

I currently have my computer set up with those settings, but Windows still replaced the image. Maybe the settings don't take effect until my next scheduled backup?

Hmm, I'm not sure honestly. I don't have enough disk space here on my workstation for more than one backup anyways, so maybe I'll try checking this from home sometime where I have more hardware to work with.
    William George
    Customer Service Lead
    Puget Custom Computers
    william@pugetsystems.com

Thank you for all of your help, William. I hope I am not keeping you from customers. Once you have more information on this, I'd be intrigued to know your findings. Keep me posted, please.

According to me,This article seems to refer to the file and folder backup. These backups just fine. I'm looking for is to find a way, in a number of system events, I have to return to the old image.

Wow, I just realized that my backup drive on my HTPC has been turned off! I think I must have done that when I moved a couple months ago: I just didn't turn it on after plugging everything in :/ As such I don't have any recent images at the moment, but there should be a new one made overnight tonight via my regularly scheduled backup.

I will check after that and let you know whether it saves over the old image or an additional one.

Oh, and 'Thank you!' Michael
    William George
    Customer Service Lead
    Puget Custom Computers
    william@pugetsystems.com

William,

I too appreciate your insights on this topic! Also, thanks for the link to the how-to-geek site There's lots of info there.

--P

Okay, so my new backup *looks* like it overwrote the previous one. There is only one backup folder showing on the drive if I look manually. However, some more Google searching uncovered this:

http://www.pagestart.com/win7bckuprstr06281002.html

It looks like the backups are incrimental, so you can go further back than the latest save made - but you can only see that if you go try to start the restore process. I've not gone that far on this system yet, and I'm not sure I'll have any time to soon, but it makes sense at least.

One last thought: worst-case, you could always made a copy of the latest backup before a new one... or just rename it and let the full backup get made again. Then you could manually keep certain image backups longer than Windows might do on its own. This would be especially helpful for a first install image, or maybe after a major service pack.
    William George
    Customer Service Lead
    Puget Custom Computers
    william@pugetsystems.com

Thank you, William. If you make a separate image and rename it, how would you go about using it if need be? From what you are saying, it seems like Windows will only recognize the image file if it is in the proper directory with the correct folder parameters, no?

Sorry to have been absent so long here! I should have a couple new backups now at home, plus the folder I renamed in order to test this... so at some point I need a few minutes to simulate a recover attempt and see what Windows 'sees' for restore options. I'll let you know what I find out
    William George
    Customer Service Lead
    Puget Custom Computers
    william@pugetsystems.com

Thread Information