Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What protection does my new computer need?

I'm getting a new custom PC in a week so I'm not risking it getting infected or anything so I need to know what protection it needs. It will have Windows%2
    http://submitaction.com
    Last edited by lisasctt4; 05-23-2012 at 10:56 PM.

Default Re: What protection does my new computer need?

I don't recommend doubling-up on protection programs - one of each category should be fine. I've heard good things about Avast, so you are probably fine there (though I personally use Microsoft Security Essentials). Windows has a built-in firewall, so adding something there isn't critical... but you can if you want. I can't speak to the specific program you listed, though, as I've never heard of it before (Online-Armor).

Now on the anti spyware/malware front, most programs that deal with those deal with *both*. I'd go Spyware S&D I think, and drop the other (again, a product I've never heard of). MalwareBytes is another decent option, in my opinion... but truth be told I don't have those sorts of programs active all the time. I only use those when I suspect something may be wrong, to cut down on the number of always-on programs running in the background.
    William George
    Customer Service Lead
    Puget Custom Computers
    william@pugetsystems.com

I agree with William. Stick with one AV program. Running two may cause conflicts and could affect performance. I use MS Security Essentials, as installed by the Puget folks, and find that it does a good job without causing a major performance hit.

I have Avast! on my other machine, and like it, although the pop-up messages are a little annoying. I also have AdAware, but don't have it actively scan in the background. I don't know about the other programs you mention. I have had success with MalWare Bytes and Spybot, though I don't have them on my Puget computer.

Having various security programs is is really your fallback. The best protection is to be careful. Don't open e-mails whose source you can't identify; same with hyperlinks. Don't open documents unless you know for certain they are malware free and from a known source. Use strong passwords. Never ever send credit, bank, or private info 'in the clear': Be sure the communication is secure.

Have fun with your new machine!

--Preston
    Last edited by Preston; 10-06-2011 at 09:34 AM. Reason: typo fix

Avast is a good choice, it has the boot time scan.

Online- Armor...Not necessary, windows firewall is fine, what you may want to do though is get a router that has a firewall built in. That in combo with a software firewall is the best. Like this one.

Spyware search, and desrtoy...no. The 2 best AntiSpyware programs are Mbam, and Superantispyware.

You can have all three if you like, you can have as many AS programs as you like. (as long as they are not all active at the same time)

Comodo...hmm, As long as it does not conflict with Avast, that would be good too. I would get in touch with Comodo support, and find out if you can use Avast along side of Comodo.

Don't need more than what is here, just be careful online, and remember to update often.
    Last edited by PCC-Wilson; 02-19-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: remove spam link

I would recommend you to use Microsoft Security Essentials as your anti-virus. Microsoft Security Essentials provides real-time protection for your PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

Microsoft Security Essentials is a FREE download from Microsoft that is simple to install, easy to use, and is automatically updated to protect your PC with the latest technology. I not really a fan of those free trial versions. This is what I've been using and it really does a great job.

Looking for more? Go try to check some here.
    LIST OF RECOMMENDED ANTI-VIRUS | Techvy

I'd also recommend using Microsoft Security Essentials - it has kept my computer free from viruses and trojans.
    Last edited by PCC-William; 11-30-2011 at 03:41 PM.

I personally like Microsoft Security Essentials. It is free, light on resources, and seems to work well.
    William George
    Customer Service Lead
    Puget Custom Computers
    william@pugetsystems.com

I like your layout lisa and I always try to go with free stuff. The free version of Malwarebytes seems to work really well for me.

Noscript + ABP

I use Microsoft Security Essentials only. Never had any viruses. It's free, easy to install, and then you can forget about it. Doesn't interfere with any of my applications.

Ed

Thread Information