Default Upgrade memory from 6GB to 12GB?

I am thinking of upgrading system memory from 6GB to 12GB on my computer (order #53550). I got "Out of Memory" message while trying to edit images larger than 6400 X 6400 pixels in Corel Paint Shop X3. I already have 6 1GB memory modules in 6 slots. My motherboard is Asus P6T Deluxe. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Upgrade memory from 6GB to 12GB?

Jeff,

I don't use PaintShop Pro, but I do edit large images in PhotoShop. So, a few questions...

1. Is your machine seeing all of your installed RAM. Six (6)GB should be more than enough to edit a 6400x6400px image.
    2. In PhotoShop, there is an option to allocate more RAM to the program. Does PaintShop have the same capability.
    3. Have you tried closing other programs that are running at the same time?
    4. Are you using any memory-intensive filters on your images?

If your system will accept more RAM, upgrading will certainly give you better performance, so I would go ahead and do it.

--Preston

According to your Asus P6T Deluxe motherboard specifications, it has 6 RAM slots than can accept up to 4GB RAM sticks per RAM slot. I recommend removing your existing RAM sticks, (You don't want to mix RAM sticks), and go with 3x 4GB DDR3-1333MHz RAM sticks. This will provide you with 12GB RAM total, plus an upgrade path to 24GB RAM in the future just by adding 3 more 4GB RAM sticks, if you ever saw the need.

Which 4GB memory modules should I buy?

I've created a quote with the RAM that I recommend. I went ahead and emailed that configuration to you.

I got the package today. I removed all of the 1GB memory modules from my computer and installed 4GB memory modules into my computer. I got 12GB of system memory. Is it possible for me to install three 1GB memory modules into my computer to get 15GB of system memory?

I recommend against mixing RAM. The chance of slowing things down is too great for the minimal 3GB RAM gain. It is best to keep all your RAM the same.

As you are planning to upgrade your system, do yourself a favor and make sure that the memory modules are of the same manufacturer. It shouldn’t wise and should have the same frequency. I have been in the computer field for over a 10 years and I majorly faced the issue while upgrading the memory module. Over the years I have tried many types of memory from cheapest to the most expensive and I have come to the conclusion that has the best memory out there.
    Last edited by PCC-Jeff; 08-26-2011 at 09:16 AM. Reason: removed spammy link

Thumbs up Re: Upgrade memory from 6GB to 12GB?

oopps long response to old post
    Last edited by chevysales; 10-16-2011 at 09:04 AM.

Thread Information